The mission of NEC-SFPE is to advance the art and science of fire protection engineering and its allied fields, to maintain a high ethical standard among its members, and to foster fire protection engineering education. Since 1955, NEC-SFPE has provided the means for information exchange and a mechanism for education. NEC-SFPE accomplishes its objectives in various ways as highlighted below:
- Six monthly dinner meetings are offered, typically in Norwood, MA.
- Annual seminars are conducted that reach out into our New England Community.
- Annual golf outing to help raise money to support the A.L. Brown Scholarship Fund and Fire Grant Program.
- In the past five years, nearly $50,000 has been given out in support of twenty-five students through the A.L. Brown Scholarship Fund.
- Support for professional engineering through activities such as helping engineers obtain licensure as an FPE, participation in the development of codes and standards, and others.
- Networking opportunities for active fire protection professionals and AHJs, codes and standards developers, product manufacturers, fire protection engineering professors, and insurance industry representatives.
Here are some of the benefits of being a member of the Association:
- Student Members may attend dinners on various fire protection topics and attend the yearly tour for free. As students, you will be able to introduce yourself to local professionals, and learn about new topics in fire protection engineering. Any current student is eligible for student membership.
- Members attend monthly dinners at a discounted rate, attend a tour of a local facility, participate in the annual seminar, network with other professionals in fire protection engineering, and most of all stay up to date with your peers on technologies and practices in Fire Protection Engineering. As a supporting member you are also assisting in the development of the scholarships awarded to New England students. Membership is available to anyone.
- Members with Fast Pass have the same benefits as regular members, but pre-pay for all of the monthly dinner meetings at the renewal stage, which can simplify expense reports. The Fast Pass Membership includes a discounted rate for meetings and is available for any member. Pre-payment of dinner meetings cannot be transferred to any other member and Fast Pass Members must still pre-register for meetings.
Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) Members attend monthly dinners and other Association events at a specially discounted rate. As an AHJ, you will be able to stay up to date with technologies and practices in Fire Protection Engineering and network with fire protection professionals and AHJs from other government agencies. AHJ from any government agency is eligible for AHJ membership. AHJ members must still pre-register for meetings.
- Life-Time Memberships are available to retired professionals in fire protection engineering who have shown leadership and commitment to the advancement of the profession.